FOUNDER & DIRECTOR
Kristy Chong is the CEO and Founder of Modibodi™ and RED by Modibodi, a revolutionary women’s high-tech apparel brand that empowers women of all ages, shapes and sizes to live a better life.
Modibodi™ is modern, protective apparel created to give all bodies more confidence and comfort, and a more sustainable solution to disposable hygiene. Periods, Incontinence, Sweat, Odour and Breast milk leaks are leaks Modibodi isn’t afraid to talk about or address.
Kristy is a mum of 4 on a mission, fash-tech entrepreneur and social advocate for women’s health issues and rights.
With over 13 years in senior management, Public Relations roles for multinational organisations including McDonald's Australia, sanofi-aventis and Edelman PR Kristy has worked with some of the most renowned brands in the business.
Fast forward to 2011, when the concept of launching her own business ignited. Based on personal experience and after the birth of second child, Kristy wanted to start her own brand that would revolutionise the way young girls and women wear underwear and apparel.
Kristy’s personal experience with the common “taboo” of Light Bladder Leakage (LBL), Incontinence saw her design, develop and scientifically prove (over an 18 month period), her patented Modifier Technology™ absorbent underpants and transform this into the Modibodi™ collection, which now includes tops, singlets and moisture wicking underpants as well as a world revolutionary swimwear range and soon to be released youth range RED by Modibodi. Irritated with her underperforming underpants, she began to question whether underwear was as good as it could be and why with all the advances in technology, our underwear had not evolved. After speaking with friends and family about their own issues, she realised she was not alone and that women either put up with failing underwear or turned to irritating, unattractive, inconvenient and eco-damaging disposable hygiene to stay dry and fresh. She knew instantly it was time for a change and that she wanted to create a beautiful and functional line of underwear that would allow women to feel attractive and confident and never fear an embarrassing mishap ever again.
2013, saw Kristy and her husband, world-leading cardiac researcher Dr James Chong, together with their children return to Australia to officially launch Modibodi™ via an e-commerce model.
Since its inception, Modibodi™’s sales and brand awareness have continued to grow at an exponential rate through strategic business planning, manufacturing development, product offering, marketing and public relations. Clientele from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, France, Iceland, UAE, United States of America and the United Kingdom have embraced this Aussie brand. Dedicated global sites have been developed to cater for the growing demand for Modibodi leak-proof apparel.
One of the Modibodi™ core pillars is empowerment, empowering women no matter their socio-economic status, religion, issues or where in the world they live. Modibodi™ actively supports causes and organisations that champion the empowerment of women including Share the Dignity, Days for Girls, Endometriosis Australia to name a select few and has launched is own program ‘GIVE A PAIR’ to deliver our products into the hands of women in crisis across AustraliaSince it began in early 2018, Modibodi has provided thousands of pairs of underpants to women in shelters across Australia, the UK and in developing countries.
Modibodi’s philosophy is that all bodies should be embraced and celebrated. Our goal is to ensure every woman, no matter their shape, ethnicity, size or ability feel included, and so we have a wide range of sizes, our ad campaigns use diverse models, in fact, many are customers, and we don’t retouch or photoshop any model used in our ad campaigns. In 2018, Modibodi together with Lunette launched the Sustainable Period Project. A World-First project of its kind, it’s all about providing schools and health professionals with a free Resource Kit to facilitate discussions about modern sustainable sanitary options. Each kit contains samples of biodegradable disposables, reusable Modibodi period underwear, menstrual cups, videos and activities that can be used for classroom education for years to come. The Sustainable Period Project aims to provide Resource Kits to all secondary schools by 2020.
Further to Modibodi, Kristy along with the Modibodi team have launched a dedicated youth brand RED by Modibodi. This brand has been specifically created to speak to a younger demographic from preteens and introduce them to a sustainable period management option such as Period Underwear that is not only comfortable and takes the fear out of periods.
Modibodi™ & Kristy have won numerous product and business awards as well as accolades including:
- 2018 Nominated for an Order of Australian Medal
- 2018 Deloitte Technology Fast Top 50 rising star circle- Modibodi & Kristy Chong
- 2018 Australian Financial Review Top 100 Women of Influence, Finalist - Innovation Category
- 2018 Modibodi apparel has been included in the Museum of Applied Sciences (Powerhouse Museum) permanent collection as an iconic Australian innovation link here
- 2018 Cosmopolitan Australia Magazine, Women of the Year Awards- Entrepreneur of the Year-finalist (AU)
- 2018 ORIAS (Online Retail Awards) Industry Recognition Category- finalist(AU) - The only female!
- 2018 NSW Business Woman of the Year Awards-Winner (AU)
- 2018 World Retail Awards, Start Up of the Year- Finalist (Global)
- 2018 Remodista Women to Watch honouree (Global)
- 2017 Australian Women’s Weekly, Australian Financial Review Women in Business- Finalist (AU)
- 2017 Telstra Business Woman of the Year Awards- Finalist (AU)
- 2017 Westpac Business of Tomorrow- Finalist (AU)
- 2016 Australian Financial Review Aspire Awards-Finalist (AU)
- 2016 Australian Mother & Baby Magazine Awards- Bronze Medal Winner (AU)
- 2015 Ausmumpreneur Women in Business Awards ‘Product Innovation’ -Winner (AU)
- 2015 Anthill Cool Company Awards-Finalist (AU)